Thursday, September 23, 2010

Addictions


I still want the cigarettes and I'm really starting to wonder if I'll ever get rid of my addiction. So far the quitting has not been as successful as I had hoped and I've had a few cigarettes here and there. I resist the temptation to buy cigarettes every day because at least if I don't have any, there's less of an opportunity to smoke. What scares me, I think, is that today I really forgot why it was that I wanted to quit smoking. I really felt like I didn't want to quit and I fear that after all this progress, I might take it up again.

Why did I want to quit smoking in the first place? There's the health reason of course, but since I haven't really felt the affect of that yet (thankfully) it doesn't seem as the most pressing. Then there's the smell, the looks of disgust from non-smokers, the tiny little rooms filled with smoke in airports, the list goes on... but I think the reason I really wanted to quit was that I didn't want to feel the addiction anymore, the constant need for the next smoke.

If this is how I feel about cigarettes, I wonder what it would be like I did hard-core drugs?

No comments: