Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Seagan


I think the urban dictionary is a very interesting site to be surfing... and here's a word that I found amusing straight from the urban dictionary, Seagan:

A modified vegan who also eats seafood. Distinguished from a pescetarian in that they do not eat eggs or dairy.
Yo...do we have any vegans coming to the BBQ?

No...I think they are all seagans now so as long as you aren't using butter on the shrimp kabobs we are cool.


The thing is, I tend to be pretty picky when it comes to food and there's lots of things that I won't eat, but for the most part, it's really because I just don't like the way it tastes, but what I don't really get are vegetarians, vegans, and now apparently seagans. I don't understand the principle of it. I'm all for animal rights and I love animals, I really do (of course I do also like some of them on my plate as well, but that's another matter), but what about the plants? Don't they have feelings? Don't they have rights? Aren't plants the lungs of this planet, the reason why this planet still exists after all our destruction? Why is it okay to eat them?

As a matter of fact, animals are are pretty damaging to th-e environment, unlike the plants. For example, cows' farting and burping give off enough harmful methane gas in a single day to fill around 400 litre bottles. Apparently it is believed that animal methane accounts for 18% of the greenhouse effect. That means that the world is getting hotter because of those animals burping and farting.

We shouldn't be part of the problem, we should be part of the solution. We're the top of the food chain, and so I say we should eat more of them. More cows on my table please!

No comments: