Saturday, September 18, 2010

Die Hard


I'm not a big fan of TV. In fact, I hate TV and I think it's the curse of our generation. I read somewhere (I can't remember where now) that we burn more calories sleeping than we do watching TV. It just goes to show you that sleeping is better than being a vegetable. Nevertheless, I do find myself watching TV from time to time, and as I was flipping through the channels today, I finally rested on Die Hard which I've seen like ten thousand times. I must admit that I have soft spot for ol' Brucy... There's something about that man that just gets to me, and like Sean Connery, he seems to only get better with age. Ever since those days of Moonlighting I can't seem to get enough of him. I think he's the only man I've seen who can make balding look good.

I must admit that the Die Hard series aren't exactly the most fabulous and to be honest, they're a little over the top, kinda like Rambo, where it's one guy against the world and somehow this one guy ends up on top. In a way the series remind of Macgyver, the show that captured the hearts of many children who believed they could diffuse a bomb, escape from a basement while handcuffed and gagged, and somehow get rid of the bad guys using nothing more than a screwdriver, a piece of string, and some chewing gum. It turns out that the world Macgyver has actually become a verb, which I find is oddly interesting. The example found in Wikipedia is "The car broke down but he MacGyvered a fix to get home" and this isn't even an urban dictionary definition.

How would someone go about making up a word? Could I make up a word? Is it the number of times people use the word? What are the criteria? I want to make up a word too....

No comments: