Tuesday, September 28, 2010

YEE-HAA!


It's a fast paced world we live and there never seems to be enough time to do anything. Everyone is always in a rush and no matter how fast things are done, it's not enough. It always needs to be bigger, better, cheaper, and most importantly faster.

That is all fine, but if that's the case, then why, why, why do we need to have so many god-damn meetings, teleconferences, discussions and presentations? I had to sit through three and a half hours of meetings today that could've all been summarized in three short emails. What I don't understand is, if management has already decided something, why do they bother to pretend to take my opinion? Why don't they just tell me what the hell it is they expect me to do and I'll just freakin do it. Why must I be involved in the decision making when the decision has already been made?They say it's to get my buy-in. So basically they want to trick me into thinking that I'm important, that my opinion matters, and that way, when they go completely disregard my opinion, I can feel better about myself because at least I was a part of it... My question is, does it really work? Do people really “buy into” that?

What's worse is that they expect me to insult people in the same way so I have to sell their brilliant ideas to those people at the lower levels and I must pretend to be in agreement, like if senior management believe in it and middle management believe in it, then it must be the right way to go. Do they really think people are that simple? If they want to treat us like cattle, then they might as well be up front about it. Sure, I'll be slow, dim-witted, with virtually no opinion, just don't try to tell me otherwise. It's their company after all, I just want to get paid. So I say, stop wasting my damn time and let's get on with it.

No comments: