Sunday, September 26, 2010

Work Hard, Play Hard


Why is it that whenever the boss is not around the work atmosphere is so much more pleasing? I've realized that no matter how open and outgoing a manager is, there will always be that barrier that prevents subordinates from having fun at work. We all put on a mask to display a little more seriousness, a little more dedication when we feel like we're being watched. That's not to say that subordinates are not serious or dedicated when they're manager is away, but for some reason there is a mis-guided notion that working cannot be fun and if we seem to be having fun, then we must not be working enough.

Some managers have strange ways of evaluating employees and what I've come to realize is that there is absolutely nothing objective about employee evaluations, no matter what systems are in place or how much they try to objectify it. It is purely subjective and there are so many ways to get around it. I once had a manager who gave me a bad evaluation because I talked too much to my colleagues while working and laughed too much. Another manager told me I would never get ahead in the company because apparently I looked too young and that I had to do something to change that. What did he expect me to do, highlight my hair white to show premature aging? Since when did looking young become a drawback?

Wouldn't people be more willing to do things and go the extra mile if they were happy and having fun? When I first started working, I loved my co-workers and we had so much fun together that we stayed late almost every day. We worked really hard and we loved it. I don't think I've ever worked harder and I had a brilliant time doing it. I want one of those jobs where we're supposed to have fun. Why do I have to hate what I do to be a good performer?

No comments: