Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hardhat - Not so Hard


This blog post is inspired by Bruce's Evil Twin. You should totally check him out both here and his alter ego here.What's the deal with hardhats? Seriously, do they really do anything? I can maybe understand them in a construction site where things may fall down from the sky, but in other circumstances, I don't understand them so much.

I worked for a while in an office in a port terminal and every time we stepped out of the office we had to put our hardhats on. Now that was pretty useless, because unless that hardhat can stop a 20-something ton container from crushing my skull I really can't see why I need to wear it, because the only thing that can fall from the sky in a container terminal is a fucking container and those things are huge and heavy. So really, what's the use of the hardhat? Does it have magical powers, like maybe provide a protect shield around my head so that anything heavy just bounces off? But if a hardhat is really hard and then something smashes into it, wouldn't it impact my skull so instead of the thing that smash into me giving me a concussion, the hardhat would?

Let's face it, a hardhat is only an illusion of safety. And this blog was inspired by Bruce's Evil Twin, check him out here, he explains the illusion of safety so much better than I do

3 comments:

Oilfield Trash said...

It is funny that you posted this just now as I just got out of a dumb meeting telling me I have to watch out for shit falling out of the sky.

And I agree with you.

Jumble Mash said...

I'm all about safety so whatever they make me wear, I do it. Even if it makes no sense. Want me to wear close toed shoes in an office environment? No freakin problem although I doubt sitting at a desk doing paper work will break my foot. But the day I wear flip flops would be the day it would happen.

that guy said...

thanks for the bloglove!!!that is so awesome...

i just was at a builders lic. continuing ed, required by the state to insure that builders don't build shitty houses...or something like that..i wasn't really paying attention...

the end of the seminar dealt with safety. i have to admit i do not know what safety issues they talked about...i was busy writing a blog in my head...

magic powers...that's funny!!!

Bruce
bruce johnson jadip
and
Evil Bruce
stupid stuff i see and hear