Saturday, December 11, 2010

War

Since I've finished my exams, I've been catching up on a lot of reading lately, and I've just re-read the book Nonviolence which I had mentioned earlier more in depth. I love the concept of it, how nonviolence actually works and how it can really make a difference. As I was reading it though, there was a passage that really got my attention, especially with all this talk about the TSA. So here it is:

Nuclear weapons did not end warfare, because that would have required political leaders to completely rethink their concept of power. As Hungarian writer Gyorgy Konrad pointed out, the political elite had no alternative concept."They have none because they are professionals of power. Why should they choose values that are in direct opposition to physical force?" And so, faced with nuclear destruction, the goal, rather than ending war, became limiting it.

And then in another section is says:

In October 2002, by a vote of 77 to 23 in the Senate and 296 to 133 in the House of Representatives, the U.S. Congress voted to give President George W. Bush the authority to attack Iraq because it was building "weapons of mass destruction." It is a peculiarly accepted notion that the United States, the only country ruthless enough to ever have used atomic weapons-and used them against a civilian population-should be trusted with a monopoly on weapons of mass destruction. But worse, the claim of Iraqi weapons was a blatant lie contradicted by the United Nations weapons inspector in Iraq, among many other reliable sources.

All wars are accompanied with lies, terrible lies that spread fear and hate in the heart of millions. My question is, how many people see these lies for what they really are, and how many people see them and simply turn a blind eye?

Food for thought....

5 comments:

Oilfield Trash said...

Good post.

I disagree with the passage from the book about the US dropping the bomb on Japan. If you know your history than you know the bloody island hopping campaign that went on. If they had to invade the mainland, a lot more people on both sides would have been killed. I guess it is a touchy subject for me since my grandpa fought in the Pacific in WW2 and saw the carnage and told me about it.

that guy said...

in WWII if we don't drop the bomb, the japanese would fight until they were all dead...the war would last another 10 years, but not an all out campaign, but all viet nam like...(and shit)

power corupts and ultimate power ultimately corupts..

fear and ignorance and the dark side of the force...

the problem with history is it is only written in absolutes by the winners of the wars...

but in war there are truly never any winners...
Bruce
bruce johnson jadip
and
evil bruce
stupid stuff i see and hear

SSW said...

Interesting!

Uninspired Blogger said...

Oilfield & Bruce: That's the whole point. There is no justification for violence and ending a war by targeting women and children is not in any just or noble. Violence breeds only more violence and like you said Bruce, there are no winners in war.

And I don't think that without the bomb the war would've carried on for another ten years. It is not in human nature to kill, and at some point, people would just stop. The reasons why some wars are popular and some are not is whether or not they are termed a success. The vietnam war was termed as a failure and that is why it was unpopular.

There is no justification for war or for violence. That's what I think.

zou3i said...

Churchill once said "history will be kind to me for I intend to write it". And that's always the case after most wars, to the victor go the spoils and the good propaganda. Believe me had it been Germany throwing the bomb on the US back then, history books would mark it also as the day Hitler ended the bloodshed.
Besides after the first A-Bomb was dropped on Hiroshima Japan were already internally discussing terms of surrender, but I guess Truman was too excited about the his new toy and couldn't wait to show it off again. I mean 70,000 killed in a few seconds didn't really convey the message :).
Anyway I'm not saying it didn't end the war, but one should never perceive the death of a quarter of a million innocent people as something positive. Even if your history books are American.