Monday, December 6, 2010

Unemployment

Since I'm now unemployed for the first time since I graduated, my mind is racing in all directions. I'm not sure what to do with myself. I've been busy so far because I have the final exams for my master's degree this week (wish me luck guys) but I can't stop thinking about the future. What am I going to do next week when exams are over? Where do I go from here?

I know I can get another job somewhere else but the question is what job? I'm looking at this as opportunity to change my career around, to finally start doing something that I actually like. So far I've studied business, I have a bachelor's in business and hopefully when these exams are over an MBA but truth of the matter is, I've always thought business was boring and the corporate life is not the life for me. When I was growing up I wanted to be so many things and I don't know why I didn't even try to be half of those. Here's a list of what I wanted to do when I was a child:

1- Fireman (well in this case fire woman)
2- Undercover superagent
3- A mad scientist (I wanted to blow up things. My first (and only) successful attempt was when I blew up the chemistry lab in school (ok it didn't get really blown up, just a minor explosion, no one was hurt but there was some damage to property, I'll admit to that)
4- A novelist
5- A gardener
6- A doctor (still don't know why I decided against going to med school, oh yea, I remember all the long hours and all studying, that was it)

Looking back, I really should've followed my gut and studied something that interested me instead of being pressured into money making careers.

But I'm looking forward now, not backwards and I need to mind my dream job.

How does one go about finding one's self? I think that's what I'm asking.

5 comments:

Oilfield Trash said...

I like the secret agent or mad scientist route.

that guy said...

damn OFT- that was what i was gonna say...

my third choice was gardener...for obvious *or not so obvious* reasons...

Bruce

stupid stuff i see and hear
and
bruce johnson jadip

Jumble Mash said...

First...Good Luck on your exams!

Second...I think everyone goes through this period of uncertaintly. I know I did. I am still not where I wanted to be, but I AM happy. I'll probably stay where I am until I'm not. And I never expected myself to end up here...it just kinda happened. So don't get too discouraged, you may be surprised at what you find!

Uninspired Blogger said...

@Oilfield & Bruce - mad scientist and secret agent were my first choices too, but I think that ship has sailed...

that guy said...

UB- how about a secret agent and mad scientist combo?

Bruce
stupid stuff i see and hear
and
bruce johnson jadip