Friday, July 9, 2010

The Couch Potato

I hate TV. It's the weekend and I've been staring at the screen for the past 2 hours and I'm thinking to myself, what a brilliant waste of time. I've never been much of a TV watcher and there's no shows that I follow. I haven't seen most of the latest movies, but somehow, when I'm alone at home, I sit there with a coke in my hand and just be brain dead. I don't like it.

I think it's the reason why people get fat, sitting there doing nothing, just receiving information. Apparently, we burn more calories just sleeping than we do watching TV. No wonder people get fat. Brain dead, couch potatoes... TV just reduces us to being vegetables. So what is it about the TV that is so appealing. Why do so many people want to reduce themselves to a vegetable?

I think a part of it has to do with the fast paced world we live in. We work so hard and we're always under so much pressure and stress that TV is really the only time we switch off completely. It is the only time where we just forget about everything and just relax. There is no effort involved in watching TV, none whatsoever. There is some peace in that. That there is a place out there that you can run to, and never have to think of all the things that bother you.

But no one can run forever...

No comments: