Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Meetings, meetings...

I think one of the most things about a desk job is all the meetings you have to attend. Sitting at a desk all day long staring at a screen is boring enough, but meetings... they're a freakin nightmare.

I had to sit through a three hour meeting today to discuss things that I don't give a rat's ass about and that don't affect me or my job in any way. Why was I at this meeting in the first place? Beats me. Because my manager thinks it's a good idea. I spent three hours of my time trying to daydream and constantly got interrupted. A complete waste of perfect daydreaming time. And it's not like I could doodle or anything like that because it's such a small room everyone would see.

From my experience in the corporate world, there's all this talk about efficiency and effectiveness and how it's important to spend each and every moment at work to the greater good of the company, then why the hell do we spend so much time in meetings discussing things that could easily be sorted out through emails. Why do we all have to sit around wasting time? And what's this business about getting employee buy in when it comes to decisions? I hate those meetings because at the end of the day it doesn't really matter what the employee thinks. If management has made a decision already, why are you taking my opinion on it? Do I have a choice? Sure, I could argue against it, but not only will the decision go through anyway, I will be seen as unenthusiastic and negative. It's a lose-lose situation. I think, if they've made the decision already, then just tell me what it is and get on with it. Send it to me in an email which I'll store away somewhere in millions of folders on my desktop and then hopelessly fail to find it later when I need it, but let's face, I won't remember anything that was said in the meeting anyway.

For all the managers out there, we don't need the meetings, just tell us what you want and we'll give it to. There's no need for that kind of torture.

No comments: