Monday, July 12, 2010

The Jinx

For a while now, I’ve thought about this concept of the jinx. Is there really such a thing? Does it exist? A friend of mine once told me to never really tell anyone about the extent of my happiness or how well things are going in my life because then I’ll jinx it, or someone will give me the evil eye. My question is, does such a thing exist? Or is it merrily superstition that has become an intricate part of our lives?

I’m not sure if I have any experience with the jinx but my friend swears that it’s there. The evil eye on the other hand, well, it’s not very scientific but I have reason to believe it exists. I used to know this girl, that every time she admired something, it went bad. It didn’t matter what it was, a watch, a t-shirt, a chain, it would break, tear or get lost. She was a very nice girl to be honest and I liked her a lot, but somehow it was never a good idea to show her anything, or tell her anything for that matter.

As I watched tonight’s final match for the world cup, I thought to myself, could Paul the German Octopus have anything to do with Spain winning? Are it’s predictions a self fulfilling prophecy? Could it have jinxed the players?

I like to think that for the most part I’m not superstitious, that I’m realistic and logical. There has to be a scientific explanation for the jinx, the evil eye and for Paul, the all-knowing (in matter of football at least) octopus. But until that explanation is found, there is a part of me that doesn’t want to risk the important things in my life by exposing them to the jinx. I will keep those things secret. I will hide them away in my heart deep down and I hope and pray that all my dreams come true. Some things are just not worth the risk. Superstitious or not. A part of me lives in the Dark Ages anyway, what with my dragons and demons obsessions, so fearing the jinx can’t be so bad.

No comments: