Friday, July 2, 2010

Workaholics

I hate the corporate world. I hate it with a passion. There's a lot of reasons why I hate it, such as most of it ruins the environment, it's dog eat dog atmosphere, there too much politics involved... the list goes on, but what I hate the most about it, is that it makes me feel hypocritical because I'm just as money greedy as they are. I could get a more noble job, but the only thing really stopping me is that noble jobs don't pay. I try to rationalize it by saying I'm doing only what I have to do, it's because I need to buy that house that I'm dreaming of, I need to buy a new car, I need, I need, I need.... (I'm suddenly reminded by a song for Meredith Brooks that I heard sometime back in the 90's... anyway). I think as long as I don't have to think about it too much, then I'm okay. Denial is a very powerful tool after all.

One thing I do hate about the corporate world that I can't ignore is workaholics. They're freakin' everywhere! I don't understand how people don't shut off after work. Once I'm out that door, that's it, I don't think about work till the next morning. Period.

My boss is a workaholic. She's a pretty good boss but she works us to the bone. She never shuts off and she's completely obsessed with work. It's her entire life. I have a mid-year appraisal coming up and I'm really dreading it because I know what it's going to be about. It's about me not going the extra mile, not being dedicated enough, not being really involved. As a matter of fact, I don't give a crap. They don't pay me for the extra mile that I go. Unless they freakin' pay me, I'm not going to do it. Of course I have to say that I will. I'm not that high up the food chain that I can't be replaced...

I hate appraisals. Can't my manager just send me an email with what she thinks of my performance and that's that? Why must it be a lengthy discussion?

I think workaholics are bad for business. There should be a law against it because working people day and night does not make for a very motivational atmosphere...
Workaholics just make everyone who has a life look bad....

No comments: