Wednesday, August 25, 2010

7 Pounds

I stayed home from work today because I seem to have caught a cold and so I decided to spend my day curled up on the couch watching TV. I watched countless shows and several movies, one of them being 7 Pounds. As sad as the movie is, it is quite inspirational. The performance of Will Smith was spectacular and quite different from all the other roles. He acted with a seriousness and sincerity that was extremely touching and had me heart rendering tears. The idea behind the movie is so noble and so self-sacrificing that it is almost impossible to believe that someone could feel this way, but I'm sure these people exist. People who live for others, the Mother Teresa's of this world.

I am amazed that there are some people out there who are against organ donations and I do not understand their logic. What difference does it make if you're dead already? Why not let someone else in need make use of it so that they can live longer, spend more time with their families? And the children? What about those poor children who have barely enough time to grow up, let alone live normal lives? What good are your organs when they are buried in the ground?

I am all for organ donation and I feel that it is necessary for all healthy and able people to give blood regularly. I can understand people not wanting to give to charity, maybe they don't have the money, maybe they think those they might have to give it to are not worthy, but donating blood is different. It literally saves lives, lives of our husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, and children, lives of people who can change the world, scientist, doctors, musicians, and artists.

There are so many people out there who need help and I think that so many of us have turned a blind eye to most of it, because we are constantly bombarded by news of suffering in this world, whether it's on TV or the homeless people in the streets. But we need to do more, we need to open our eyes and really lend a helping hand to those who are less fortunate than us before it is too late.

No comments: