Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pillars of the Earth

I've had this book for a long time and every time I pick it up I can't seem to get into it, then finally one day, for lack of anything else to read, I decided to finish it once and for all.

This is not my typical reading, however, after the first three chapters I started to really get into it. Having never read anything for Follet before, I found his style to be quite simple and easy to read. The descriptions were quite good giving a good visual image and overly complex and boring with details, although some of the architectural descriptions could have been reduced.

The story was quite interesting and the way it all fit together made for quite an exciting novel.The character development could have been better so that as a reader I would connect more with the characters. There was a certain vile sickness to some of the characters which I felt was taken to a certain extreme and was somehow unnecessary. However the way one event led to another in such a smooth manner made the book quite a page turner.

It is unfortunate however that the biggest disappointment was the ending. After spending days depriving myself of sleep to read and find out what happens at the end, I was sorely disappointed. The end seemed to rushed as if Follet just wanted to get it over and done with. It made me feel cheated as the end unraveled and I felt that all that reading was for nothing. It was short and did not satisfy the curiosity that had kept me going for all those pages.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 6.5. Much more if the ending had been better.

No comments: