Monday, August 9, 2010

Office Politics

I think it's interesting to be temporarily irreplaceable. I've always been a firm believer that a person is only irreplaceable to family and friends, to the people who actually love them, but a person is never irreplaceable to a corporation, no matter what the position is, what the experience is, a person can always be replaced. That is why I dislike workaholics and I would never be one. I believe that workaholics put too much weight on their careers and too little weight on the things that really matter, like spending time with family and friends, and one day they will wake up and find out that they did not spend as much time as they would've liked with them and maybe it'll be too late.

Nevertheless, it's interesting when you're temporarily irreplaceable. I'm currently in that position. I know that my manager would rather get rid of me. I also know that my manager knows I don't want to be there, but unfortunately for my manager, there's no one to replace me and with all the people who have the department, there's no way they'd let me go. Something like this should make me feel secure, but it's not security that I want. I'm truly amused by my manager's tiptoeing when it comes to discussing my performance, when only recently I've been told off for not working hard enough. Nothing has changed since then but for once, I feel in a position of some power, even if it's power I can do nothing with. I don't plan to use this to my disadvantage. I don't plan to ask for better pay or more benefits, I'm simply content knowing that they need me, that if I were to leave now, I'd leave a big whole that would be difficult to fill, in the short term. It brings a smile to my face, and temptation to do that is huge. I think of it every morning when I wake up. The looks on their faces would be priceless.

And just to make sure I'm seeing everything in a positive light:
I'm grateful for having options...

No comments: