Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Supergirl

There was a time, a long time ago, when I was completely depressed. I was betrayed, cheated and lonely, and I retreated deeper into my hole to lick my wounds and nurse my broken heart. It was a time when I thought nothing could take away my pain, my heart had shattered into a million pieces and there was no way for me to pick them all up again. I wallowed in my misery helplessly. Somehow I felt like it was my fault. Time and time again I blamed myself. I blamed myself for his lying, for his cheating, for cruelty. Bitterly I thought that I simply wasn't good enough. He stood on a pedestal so high and no amount of wrong could bring him down. The sorrow I felt for my loss was encompassing. I could not escape it.

For days and weeks I wallowed. I was trapped in a downward spiral that kept going deeper and deeper until there was no sign of light. There was no light at the end of tunnel. This was it. I would never be whole again. Humpty-Dumpty has fallen off the wall.

It was in my darkest moment, the depth of my hopelessness that I came upon the song supergirl and it spoke to me. There was something about the song that changed me. It touched me in ways that everything else could not. It made me pick up all the broken pieces and put them away. Perhaps I can be put back together again after all.


And then she'd say:
"It's ok, I got lost on the way but I'm a supergirl
and supergirls don't cry"
And then she'd say:
"It's alright, I got home late last night
but I'm a supergirl and supergirls just fly".

And then she'd say that nothing can go wrong
"When you're in love what can be wrong?"
And then she'd laugh the night time into day
pushing her fear further along

And then she'd shout down the line
tell me she's got no more time
cause she's a supergirl
and supergirls don't cry

And then she'd scream in my face
tell me to leave, leave this place
cause she's a supergirl
and supergirls just fly

Yeah she's a supergirl, a supergirl.
She's sowing seeds
she's burning trees
She's sowing in seeds
She's burning trees
yeah she's a supergirl
a supergirl
a supergirl
my supergirl

No comments: