Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Cup Half-Empty? Or Half Full

I'm a big believer in self-improvement and I don't mean any of that self-help book mumbo-jumbo, I mean some hard core thinking about what it is about you that you don't like and then finding a way to improve it, a way that works for you.

I used to be a very negative person. I was pessimistic to the core and it was something that I realized brought me down more than anything, and brought down other people along with me. It took me quite sometime to realize this little fact and I decided that it was time to make a change.

So I thought long and hard about it, and I realized that I always looked at the dark side of things, the cup half empty and isn't that what being a pessimist is all about? Well I didn't want to be one anymore. I didn't want to be one of those overly optimistic, obnoxious, happy people either, but I needed to get my pessimism in check. And I found a solution that worked. I decided to think of one thing every day that I was grateful, just one thing. And each day it had to be something different. And it has worked wonders.

The thought came to me through a very unfortunate event though, and as sad as it was, I feel I must give it credit. A guy at work was out one night and got into a terrible accident. He got run over by a truck and even though it was fortunate that the accident didn't kill him, it crushed his leg, making it irreparable. The poor lad had to get it amputated. The news hit me really hard and I was at a point in my life where I felt like nothing was going my way and I was completely dissatisfied with everything, but it really put things into perspective. I realized that life is fleeting and nothing can be taken for granted. Nothing.

And ever since that day, I've been grateful for something. I have learned that not all is bad, and that every misfortune (or seeming misfortune) has a positive side and that seeing that positive side is the key to being a happier and healthier person in general.

So my grateful thought for the day is: I'm grateful for being about to see the bright side of life.

No comments: