Monday, August 30, 2010

Refrigerator Boy


I'm very happy to be outside the dating scene, it's been a while for me and I can honestly say I'm relieved to no longer have to deal with endless blind dates and the awkwardness of first dates. To all the single people out there who are still looking, my heart goes out to you all. But I must admit that a part of me misses the fun of sitting with my best friends later and laughing at the horrible, horrible men I had gone out with. Some of the dates I've been on do make brilliant stories to tell over coffee and considering that I have a, let's call it talent, for attracting the strangest people, they never cease to amaze me, for all the wrong reasons of course. It surprises me too because I assume that on the first few dates, the guys would be on their best behavior, and if this is their best behavior, then I don't even want to know what a bad day for them would be like.

So as I sat talking to an old friend today, Refrigerator Boy came up and contrary to his nickname, refrigerator boy is the opposite of cold.

It was one summer day when my good friend George calls me excitedly, "I have the perfect guy for you!" he says. I had been single for a while and looking, so naturally I got a little excited too. He said with such enthusiasm that it was hard not to. Then George started giving me all the details:
"He's a good friend of mine, mid-thirties, an engineer, brilliant career ahead of him, down-to-earth, a real nice guy."
So far, so good. George promised to set something up.

He called me a few days later and set a date, something casual-like so there won't be any pressure. Tuesday night, 8 pm. I get all dressed up, an appropriately sexy shirt and those jeans that make my ass look great. I look just right, good but not over the top, like I didn't make an effort at all.

I can't say there was anything special about the first date. It was simply average, nothing special and definitely nothing to write home about, but being forever the dating optimist, I say what the hell, let's give the guy another chance, never mind that no butterflies were fluttering around in my stomach and my interest in his conversation was only mildly stirred. He called me a few days later and asked me out again. Again, nothing special, adequate conversation, followed by a very polite thank you for the nice time.

The next day, 8:30 am. As I make my way to the office, half asleep, I hear my cell phone beep in my purse. "1 New Message" and it reads: Rise and shine :) !!!
Although flattering, the thought of getting a message from a guy I've only been out with on two dates at 8:30 in the morning kind of creeped me out, so I did the sensible thing, nothing. A few minutes later the message was forgotten as I slaved away at my desk.

Later that day, 9:00 pm, my phone rings while I'm out with a friend
- Hello?
- How could you not reply to my sms?! (He yells into the phone)
- Excuse me?
- I sent you an sms this morning and you never replied (I imagined myself sitting in dark room with a spot light shining in my eyes as he pointed his finger at me accusingly)
- It slipped my mind (I'm a little bit shocked at how this conversation is going)
- What do you mean it slipped your mind? How could it slip your mind? (His voice was getting a bit loud now and I couldn't believe he was yelling at me! Given my state of shock, I say nothing)
He continues - I want to see you today, where are you?
- I'm out with a friend
- Well where are you? I'll come pick you up. I want you to come with me while I look for a new refrigerator.

Refrigerator? Seriously? When did we get to refrigerator? How is that even a date? What? I politely decline his invitation and hang up the phone. I'm not quite sure what happened here and I am slightly angered by his attitude. I brush it off and move on.
Interestingly enough, he calls me a week later and he was furious. Apparently, he was expecting me to call him, somehow he thought he had a chance for another date. Of course him yelling at me for the second time didn't really earn him any brownie points. Needless to say I had to make it painfully clear that I was not interested.

If I was to see him again, I'd have two words for him: Anger Management.

No comments: