Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Fate of the Dodo


I hate the flu, I just really, really hate it. I've been sitting here, trapped in my house, wrapped in blankets with box of tissues on my lap. My head feels twice the size it should be and I can barely breathe, and for some reason all the freakin medication I've been taking isn't working. I feel absolutely terrible and I don't understand how, with all the breakthroughs in modern medicine, why we don't have a final and permanent cure for the flu. Sure the virus mutates and new strains and whatever, but why can't these beings become extinct. Why can't we just go out on a mass murdering spree and kill them all? We're so good at killing everything else, I don't understand why we can't kill these beings too.

The list of extinct creatures is huge; Dodos, tigers, sea mammals, birds and amphibians; and the number of endangered species keeps getting bigger and bigger. Why do we humans kill all these amazing, beautiful animals but somehow still fail to wipe out germs and viruses?

The truth of the matter is, I believe medicine will inevitably lead to the destruction of the world. The ecosystem is a fragile thing, a really fragile thing and we humans with our technology, with our desire to improve our lives, make our lives longer is rapidly destroying the ecosystem, tipping the scales a little too much. If we continue this way, with a complete disregard to our environment, there will be nothing left. The world has changed tremendously in our generation and we have seen unbelievable improvements in technology, but we have also witnessed the hottest summer in recent history. Can you say Global Warming? The scientists that have been warning us about this for past ten or fifteen years have finally seen it come to pass. The natural disasters keep piling up. The world is screaming out in pain and there is nothing we can do to stop it. Can we rewind? Can we still save the world we love so much? Or is it too late?

No comments: