Friday, June 18, 2010

Water.... oh dear water...

There is nothing I love more than the beach. It is by the far the most amazing thing in the whole wide world. If I could, I would live in the sea. I have daydreamed countless times about being a mermaid, I think I should've been born a mermaid.

I love everything about the beach. The sand, the water, the cool breeze, the sun... I love it all. Unfortunately, I don't live by the beach, but thankfully, I'm lucky enough to have parents who have a house at the beach. I've just arrived and I'm sitting enjoying the salt-filled breeze, the view of the water, listening to the crashing waves. Here is where I belong. I am one with the world.

And I love swimming at night, when it's pitch black and the only senses I have are my hearing and the feeling in my skin. The water is warm especially after sunset, and the cool breeze is chilling, the sound of waves crashing are everywhere, and somehow, in the darkness, I feel peace. I think the reason I love the beach at night is the feeling it gives me. I feel really small surrounded by the vastness of the sea, just a speck of nothing in the midst of all this greatness, how inconsequential I truly am. I am awed by the magnitude of it all, how in one swift moment, the current can pull me under, and then I am no more. It's scary, it's terrifying, and it's invigorating. It makes me feel alive.

I once heard that all those who drown go straight to heaven, that the fate of drowning is one that is so horrifying that there is no need anymore for that person to pay for his sins. For anyone who has chocked on a morsel of food, those few moments where you cannot breathe are indeed the worst.

As deceptive and turbulent as the sea is, I cannot help but feel a constant yearning for it, to have my body immersed in it and let it take me away to where it wishes to take me.... It is home, and if I could, I would like my body to be given back to the sea once I've left this world, to be my final resting place.

No comments: