Saturday, November 6, 2010

Glee


I've previously talked about my dislike for TV, how it makes me feel like a vegetable, and how I'd rather do something else. But even with this dislike and my determination to watch as little of it as possible, I do sometimes watch TV and get hooked on it. My sister is a big TV fan and she follows a number series religiously. One such series is Glee. Now I've seen the ads for this show and even though my sister has tried to coax me into watching it countless time I've always managed to resist. Until now. I'm such why I decided to give in, but I finally did and watched the first three episodes. As much as I hate to admit it, I actually liked it.

Even though the show is a chick's show and a tab bit corny (and I would be totally embarrassed if any of my friends found out I was watching it), there is something that got to me. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I went to a really crappy high school (and an all girls one at that) where we had no such thing as a creative outlet, that this show brings out a certain longing, like I somehow live vicariously through this show. I imagine what my teenage years would've been like if I had the kind of activities that these kids have. Would my life have turned out any different? Would I have found that somewhere deep inside me, I have some kind of hidden talent? Well if I do, then it's still hiding.

If I had gone to a high school in the U.S., which box would I be in? Would I have been one of the popular girls? A cheerleader? Or would I have been one of the so-called losers? The outcasts? A bunch of misfits hanging out together because no one else would have them? I've never been to high school in the U.S. and so all I have to go by is the movies and the TV shows. Is there really so much pressure? Are kids really that cruel? If they are, then I thank my lucky stars for not having to have gone through that, to have gone to a school where almost everyone was a misfit that being different was normal. The only outcasts were the snitches. Because no one likes a snitch.

No comments: