Friday, November 19, 2010

A Cleansing

Endless seas of green. The trees surround me and hover above me,
sheilding me from the sun. The ground is damp beneath my feet from
recent rains. Its coolness is comforting. I stood still for what felt
like hours. I felt so at peace here. It was a haven of security, far
away from the penetrating eyes of people. I felt myself slowly melting
away. The chill breeze enveloped my skin, washing away all the pain. I
walked foward, slowly, breathing deeply. I wanted to fill my lungs
with air enough to lift me off the ground. I felt so lightheaded. I
could hear a river in the distance, or maybe it was a stream, or a
spring. I didn't know. I was drawn to the water, its sound echoing
softly in my head.
The spring was hot, its water was pure and clean as it traveled down
the hill, splashing away merrily at the rocks that lay in its way. I
knelt down beside it, and washed my face. The water was comforting. I
stared at my hands. They looked old and weary, they were hands that
had so much to tell. I do not remember taking out a knife. It seemed
to materialize in my hand, then slowly, and half conscious, I cut deep
into my flesh. I don't remember the pain. I remember my blood as it
flowed unchecked from my wrists. I slowly put my hand in the water and
I saw my blood being washed away. The feeling was comforting. I was
finally draining all the poison from my blood, all the pain, all the
betrayal, all the lies, all the regrets. I sat there for what seemed
to be an eternity. I lay down on the wet grass, the bleeding stopped.
Then sleep descended. Sweet dreamless sleep.

3 comments:

Oilfield Trash said...

Scotch has the same effect on me.

SSW said...

Oh my kids have that same effect on me too...lol

SSW said...

This is beautifully written! Great post!