Saturday, October 16, 2010

Lego


When I was a kid, I loved taking things apart and putting them back together again. Of course I wasn't always successful (sorry dad about the VCR) but it was fun nonetheless. I still like taking things apart and fixing them (and I've always wanted to be a mechanic, is it too late?) but what is the story with organizational restructuring? It's like someone is sitting there at the top thinking "well, everything seems to be working fine and I'm starting to become completely useless so they might fire me soon. I best start taking apart something and put it back together to look busy..." Seriously, it's just too much and too soon.

The company I work for has had a major restructuring every year and a half for past six years. This is just getting ridiculous. They just keep moving people around, giving departments different names and just make everything more stressful than it already is for everybody. Seriously, what is up with that? What's the point of making a change if they don't give it enough time to see if it's successful or not? Why do they insist on making everyone uncomfortable and reduce productivity by having everyone worry about their jobs? Why take away their security? Isn't that one of the basic needs from Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs? That's just OB 101.

But that's not what really bothers me... What really bothers me is that they keep everything a secret. They say that they encourage transparency but it's all a sham. I'm certain they have a huge master plan with a bunch of changes that they want to make and this might be some big 5-year or 10-year plan. This is not just some haphazard, random action. This has been thought out and has been calculated. Why don't they just come out and say it right from the start? Why don't they say, well this year, we're planning on reducing staff by 20% and then we going to move you all around to have a fun game of musical chairs. In two years time, we'll have further reductions in staff by 10% and then by the fourth year, we'll find that we're understaffed and we'll need to hire around 15%. Why can't they just be honest and upfront about their plans, no matter how horrible, insensitive and greedy they? If we're working for a corporation, we shouldn't be naive enough to think that they're not any of these things.

Why can't they be more like Satan, at least he's honest....

ps. I just love pic, it's one of nathan sawaya's sculptures. You should totally check out his website http://www.brickartist.com/

No comments: