Friday, October 15, 2010

Creative Writing Assignment 2 - Metamorphosis

I am becoming the moon. I always knew this day would come. It is my destiny like it was the destiny of my sisters, to leave this body of flesh, bones and blood behind. My time on this earth was short, much too short and as I stare at the dying moon above me I know that my time is near. I have loved this body that has been my home with all its faults, with all its imperfections. The jerky, uncalculated movements no longer bother me, I have learned to control them. I have learned to be selfish and unyielding like other mortals, I understand their fears and I share them. Their lust is my own and now I must give it all away. I must shed away this skin and rise to sky where I belong. As the sliver in the sky slowly disappears I start to feel my skin tingle and I shiver with what that feeling means. I walk towards to the pond before me and immerse my feet in the cold water. I can see the ripples spread across its surface just as the moon above disappears completely from sight. I can feel my body start to turn cold and somewhere deep inside me, inside this mortal body, I start to feel afraid. My chest begins to tighten and I can feel my breathing become short and labored. My mortal end is near. The feeling fills me with such sorrow and dread as I stand unmoving, my feet firmly planted in the watery grave. I feel the water seeping into my skin and travel up the length of my body, mixing with my flesh, dissolving it and as I look down at my nakedness I can see my skin start to glitter, its earthly color turning to the brightest of silver. Quickly, much too quickly, I see my body melt away into the pond and becoming sparkling ripples across the surface. The sorrow inside me overwhelms me and I wish to scream but I have lost the ability to speak. As the last of me vanishes a final ripple disturbs the surface and with it, I rise to the sky, a white crescent, dimmed with mourning and sorrow and once again the pond settles, its waters undisturbed.

No comments: